The California Consumer Privacy Act introduces new data privacy rights for California residents. All California residents now have the right to know what personal data is being collected and to know whether their personal date is sold or disclosed and to whom.
California residents can deny the sale of personal data. All publishers must provide access to their personal data and can be forced to delete any stored personal information when requested. All California residents are protected against any kind of discrimination caused by exercising their privacy rights.
CCPA affects you as a Publisher as soon as you collect and process data of California residents and exceed at least one of the following thresholds:
· annual gross revenues of at least 25million dollars (not only in California!)
· obtains personal information of at least 50.000 California residents or households (this can be important for you!)
· at least 50% of your annual revenue is generated from the sales of California residents personal information
CCPA contains clear and precise requirements that your business needs to meet in case this law applies to you. These requirements include:
· Introducing a method for verification of the identity of the person making such requests.
· Introducing a "Do Not Sell My Personal Information" link on your home page. It will serve your users to prohibit the selling of their data from your side.
· Obtaining prior consent from minors 13-16 years old before selling their data. For minors younger than 13, you have to obtain prior consent by their parents.
It is not necessary to obtain consent for collecting and processing users' data.
Make sure that users can contact you quickly concerning the storage and handling of their personal information.
The Attorney General cannot bring an enforcement action under the CCPA until July 1, 2020.
Please note that this is only a summary of CCPA and not the complete and official information.
ConnectAd supports CCPA-Consent Strings starting with V3 of our PreBid Adapter.
Important for you:
Here are a few links to CCPA: